They are currently on day 22 (they are on the extended plan), and still living. Not only living they have lost weight, no more arthritis, cholesterol down, sleeping like babies, and just feel better overall. Now, those of you who know my parents know that they are your quintessential workout nuts. They cycle/ work out like crazy and eat like birds. So for them to be able to lose weight shocked me. My mom has lost 6 pounds and my dad has lost 13. Crazy, right? So Ben and I decided it was time to take the plunge.
The following items are on the don't even think about them, let alone put in your mouth list:
- Anything that is not real food (e.g. anything made in a factory that comes in a can, box or package) unless it is a canned whole food such as sardines or artichokes with only a few real ingredients such as water or salt
- Any food or drink that contains added sugar (including honey, molasses, agave, maple syrup, organic cane juice or artificial sweeteners), especially any sugar-sweetened beverages or fruit juices
- Anything that contains hydrogenated oils and refined vegetable oils (like corn or soybean oil)
- Any foods with artificial sweeteners, preservatives, additives, coloring, or dyes – basically anything that has a label or is processed in any way
- Anything sugar or flour based (cookies, cakes, candies, etc.)
- Grains (rice, oats, quinoa) and all foods made from flours (crackers, pasta, bread, pretzels, etc.)
- Starches (sweet potato, potato, squash, parsnip, beets, etc.)
- Beans and legumes (chickpeas, lentils, peanuts, kidney beans, etc.)
- Dairy (yogurt, sour cream, cheese, milk, etc.)
- Coffee and anything caffeinated (tea, soft drinks, lattes, etc.)
- Alcohol (wine, beer, spirits, etc.)
Not really, but pretty much. It leaves lean protein (chicken, turkey, eggs, nuts, and fish) and non-starchy veggies. You are allowed blueberries and strawberries only in your morning smoothie.
I'm excited to see how I feel by the end of this. My main hope is to gain some kind of balance in my diet and have less sugar cravings. Wish me luck!