Tuesday, March 19, 2013

HOSPITAL STAY

This past week we had a little scare. Ben and I were staying up Big Cottonwood Canyon at a friend's cabin. We were enjoying the company of good friends while having good food. After all the festivities were over we decided to hit the sack. I was so excited to sleep...hello....I'm pregnant. I woke up at 5:00AM with a crazy bad pain in my right side. It was getting worse by the second. I could hardly breath. We decided to get in the car and head to the ER. They checked me in and immediately started running every test they could think of. Everything came back normal other than my white blood cell count. It was crazy high. Meaning there was an infection present. Once they realized I wasn't going to die at the drop of a hat, they checked on the baby. Its funny...I didn't think of myself once. All I wanted to hear was that the baby was okay. After what felt like 10 hours they decided to check on the babe. Once I saw him and his little heart pumping away I could finally breath. He was just hanging out and snoozing with his little legs crossed, the same way his papa sleeps.  Seeing our little baby healthy and happy brought a tear to my eye. I have never been so relieved.

After we realized the baby wasn't in harm they decided to focus on me. Was it my appendix? Gallbladder? Kidney Infection? Contractions? They had 3 different teams working with me to try to figure it out. They decided it would be best if they kept me overnight. They put in the maternity ward and watched me closely. Once I got settled in I asked them if I could finally eat. We had been at the hospital for 11 hours and  I hadn't had a single thing to eat or drink. Doctors orders. They said I could have broth and that was it, in case they had to do surgery. Have you ever seen a hungry pregnant woman? Now times that times 500 and that was me. I was acting like a total mess crying and acting completely irrational.... true to form.  At one point I honestly thought I was going to die of hunger. Somehow I calmed myself down and tried to sleep. Doctors were in and out of our room every 2 hours making sure my vitals were normal.  So not only was I starving...I was now sleep deprived. Not a good mix for this gal. The next morning I woke up with minimal pain....thank goodness. They did one final check on the babe and he was happy and healthy so they sent me home. hallelujah!  They still don't know what happened.  It was so bizarre. I'm just happy its gone and I'm back to my happy and healthy self. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I would seriously love to hear. 
 I will leave you with this beautiful photo, in my beautiful gown, on the verge of gnawing on my own arm due to starvation.  (For the record...I'm not always cross-eyed)

2 comments:

  1. The same thing happened to me when I was pregnant with Lily. I woke up in the middle of the night with the worst pain in my side...It felt like it was in my upper back, inside my ribs. It was pretty crazy. I could hardly breath. I was so scared! I ended up in the ER and they determined that my gallbladder was acting up. They sent me home the next morning and everything was fine after that. I just hope it doesn't happen again this pregnancy! Glad you are ok and it wasn't anything more serious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i already knew, but i cried reading this.
    that lil baby is a fighter ;)
    love you, mama!
    xM

    ReplyDelete