Friday, January 18, 2013

IVF-PALOOZA (cont.)

After a couple of crazy months of meds, injections, and doctor visits it was go time. We went to the doctors office bright and early November 13th to have our sweet little embryo-babies put back into my belly. Everything we had been working towards for the last month all lead up to this moment. They put me in a beautiful hospital gown and gave me 2 Valium. Life was good. They gave us a picture of our cute little babies to be and told me to relax...no problem there....2 Valium on an empty tummy makes it hard not to relax. We watched them pick the cream of the crop embryo and then it was put directly back into me. Easy peasy. They gave me a warm blanket, turned the lights off, and turned on some soothing music. Once they shut the door the flood gates opened. I couldn't stop crying. I was so happy, excited, hopeful...and every other emotion you can imagine. It was completely up to fate at this point. Ben and I had a very intimate moment laying there together hopping and praying these embryos would decide to make my belly their new home.

After laying flat for an hour we went home and relaxed. The next three days I wasn't to get out of bed except to use the shower or bathroom. I was dreading not moving, but it ended up being so relaxing. I had some many loved ones reach out to me and entertain me.

When going through IVF a regular home pregnancy test wont cut it. Twelve days after they transfer your embryos you go in for blood work to see if you are pregnant or not. This is known as the dreaded 2 week wait. I happen to be the most impatient person that has ever walked this earth. So five days after the transfer the home tests started. They were all coming back semi-positive. I was still very weary. I was hopeful but not too excited yet. I didn't want to jinks it. I couldn't wait any longer. So Thursday the 22nd/Thanksgiving (9 days post transfer...3 days early) we decided to head to Heber hospital to have a HCG/Pregnancy test taken. We arrived and the nurses looked at us like we were crazy. They asked why we couldn't do an at home test and Ben explained the situation to them.  After Ben's sob story the nurses were beyond helpful and excited for us.  They checked me in and had to treat me as an emergency visit. They drew my blood and they said it wouldn't be longer than 20 minutes until the results came back. We flipped on the TV and acted like we were watching the Macy's Thanksgiving parade. After what felt like a life time, we  saw the doctor walking towards us with a big grin on his face. He sat down and said...."Congratulations! You are most definitely pregnant!" I almost passed out. We sat there with each other laughing, crying, and acting like total idiots. The nurses came running in the room hugging and crying with us. It was a moment I will treasure the rest of my life. 

Then came the fun part tell our family. They had no idea that we decided to test early so there was some element of surprise. We told Ben's family first during Thanksgiving dinner and then my family while eating pie. Everyone was so surprised and excited for us.

We had one last visit with our beloved Dr. Peterson, so he could confirm the pregnancy.  We hugged him and thanked him for giving us the world. It was really hard saying good-bye, but we are on to a new chapter. I cant wait to go back to visit and show Dr. Peterson his handy work....our baby.  I never pictured us going through any of this in a million years, but its funny how things work out. Its something we have been wanting for so long that the thought of it actually working is still beyond our comprehension. We are elated for our new adventure as parents.





 

3 comments:

  1. Ahhhh poop¡ I'm sitting here eating a bag of kit kats, bawling like a dummy! I am sooooooo so so happy for you two! To hell and back, but you already know it's worth it! I can't say congrats enough!!!! Eeeeeee!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh poop¡ I'm sitting here eating a bag of kit kats, bawling like a dummy! I am sooooooo so so happy for you two! To hell and back, but you already know it's worth it! I can't say congrats enough!!!! Eeeeeee!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhhh poop¡ I'm sitting here eating a bag of kit kats, bawling like a dummy! I am sooooooo so so happy for you two! To hell and back, but you already know it's worth it! I can't say congrats enough!!!! Eeeeeee!!!!!

    ReplyDelete