Wednesday, April 13, 2011

asinine

This last week I was doing the typical thing I do when I'm bored at work, looking at J.Crew.com. I love J.Crew. Everything from the models, the styling, the designing, the photography. I love it all. Its always fresh, clean, and effortlessly chic. Some might say I'm obsessed, I would probably agree. Every month J.crew has something called "Jenna's Picks." Jenna Lyons is the Executive Creative Director at J.Crew and picks out the must have looks for the month. Every girls dream job, well at least mine.
Stunning, beautiful, successful

HELLO GIRL CRUSH!!

So this last months ad was weekends with Jenna, and her oh so adorable son, Beckett. BRILLIANT. The ad features she and her son on a Saturday morning, hanging out. Being silly and painting his toenails.

Below the ad it reads, "Lucky for me I ended up with a boy whose favorite color is pink. Toenail painting is way more fun in neon."


I had actually had mentioned how much I loved it. Totally adorable. Totally J.crew.

Well others have been outraged. People believe she is being a irresponsible mother and pushing trans-gender roles onto her son. Really people?? Hes 5! If this was a little girl playing in the mud with trucks and toy guns, no one would even bat an eyelash. I think we are so quick to push gender roles on children, and even adults for that matter. From the second they are born its either pink or blue, ball or doll. Enough already! I know what some of you are thinking. Who am I to say this?? I don't have children. Yes, that's true but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that this is ridiculous. Instead of teaching our children that being unique is weird, why don't we teach them to be comfortable in their own skin and embrace who they are? Why cant we just love and accept others? Who cares if little girls want to play in the mud or little boys want to paint their toenail. Lets let them enjoy being children.

1 comment:

  1. First of all. I LOVE Jcrew as well. It is my happy place. Second, I love that she paints his toes neon pink. It's fantastic. Jenna Lyons is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete