Sunday, February 27, 2011

simplify

Sometimes I think we all forget how lucky we are. Even if we don't have the biggest house on the block, the nicest car, or the latest trends, we are lucky. Don't get me wrong I want all of those things, and I'm not ashamed to admit it. I'm not the Dalai Lama, and I'm not claiming to be all high and mighty. But today I was sitting on my sofa with the sun hitting my face while listening to a little Regina Spektor, and I realized that I am truly happy. I am healthy. I have a job that I adore. I have a husband that would do just about anything for me. I have a supportive family that always has my back, even when I'm being completely irrational. At any moment any of those things can be taken away. Some days I am honestly terrified that something bad is going to happen to me or my family because we are so happy. Like we don't deserve to be this happy.

I have met people that have close to nothing, and yet they they are the happiest people I have know. I honestly think this is because they don't have all the materialistic crap that blurs their vision of what true happiness really is. I am always working in this, and I think I need to try harder to remember buying things just makes me temporarily happy. I'm not by any means going to stop shopping. But instead of trying to keep up with the joneses, I need to remember that I do have it all. My family and my health.

No comments:

Post a Comment